If you are considering an elopement wedding here you can find 6 places to elope in Ireland that you will love it!
Full of astonishing landscapes and magical spots, Ireland is just perfect for eloping. There are so many amazing locations for the perfect elopement in Ireland and we have listed some of the most beautiful below.
By definition ‘to elope’ means to “run away to get married”, without any family members, without guests. In the last few years this has become a very popular option for couples who don’t want to have the traditional wedding with all the formalities. Couples who prefer to have the most intimate wedding possible and who are putting their own twist on eloping. Some prefer to do it with just the two of them, some invite witnesses, others prefer to invite their families to join.
Ireland is one of the most sought-after destinations for elopements and if you want to elope in Ireland there’s a few things you should keep in mind:
1. The formalities: If you want your marriage to be valid and recognised back home, there are a few things you should do beforehand. You can see the list of formal procedures for weddings in Ireland here.
2. Permits: Some locations require a permit or the payment of a small fee. Make sure you have that covered.
3. The weather: When we got married in Dublin, we had all the seasons in one day. The weather in Ireland is unpredictable. So regardless if you’re planning for a hot summer’s day or a cold winter wedding, pack accordingly, prepare to be surprised and embrace whatever comes your way!
4. Weekday or weekend? Weekends are very popular but eloping on a weekday has it’s perks. You will have more privacy as the best locations are less busy with tourists and it’s more likely your favourite vendors will be available.
5. Your vision: There are so many gorgeous locations to choose from so you should choose the place that best matches the vision you have for your elopement. Would you like to exchange your vows on a Mountain, or prefer do to it beside the ocean? Are you planning to go for a meal after? It’s your chance to create a spectacular day that represents you as a couple.
Now here you have our 6 places to elope in Ireland:
1. Cliffs of Moher
3. Dunluce Castle
4. Wicklow National Park
5. Dingle Peninsula
1. Cliffs of Moher, Co. Clare
One of the most popular places for elopements, The Cliffs of Moher are truly majestic! It’s located on the South coast in County Clare and it’s a three hour drive from Dublin and one hour from Shannon Airport. It’s one of the most visited places in Ireland but if you decide to elope to the Cliffs there are some lovely spots away from any crowds.
As mentioned, the weather in Ireland is unpredictable. You can be lucky to get an amazing sunny day at the Cliffs but it’s also likely it might be very windy too.
2. Connemara, Co. Galway
Connemara is a region on the Atlantic coast in the west of Ireland and it’s full of gems! There are so many breathtaking backgrounds for your elopement not matter where you go! From the crystal clear waters of Innisbofin Island to the amazing mountains of Connemara’s National Park – you’re spoiled for choice! The stunning Kylemore Abbey is also situated in Connemara and it’s a great place to visit for photos.
3. Dunluce Castle
Dunluce is an iconic castle ruin located in Northern Ireland, in the heart of the County Antrim’s Causeway Coast, overlooking the Irish Sea, providing one of the most dramatic backdrops for elopements. It’s a short drive from other very famous landmarks like the Giants Causeway and The Dark Hedges.
The land next to the castle is privately owned by a farmer who charges a small fee for either couples portraits or small ceremonies.
4. Wicklow National Park, Co. Dublin
If you prefer to stay in the surroundings of Dublin, Wicklow National Park might be the best choice for you. It’s not called the Garden of Ireland for nothing. If you’ve seen ‘P.S.: I love you’ you know what we mean…
It’s just 40 minutes away from Dublin, it has fantastic views and great spots for your dream elopement. Its stunning backdrops are absolutely perfect for your vows, especially on spring and summer days.
5. Dingle Peninsula
This picturesque location is a truly magical place to get married. Where green hills roll into the ocean, The Dingle Peninsula offers couples some of the most epic scenery in Ireland. You may recognise some of the locations from ‘Star Wars The Last Jedi’.
The Slea Head Drive, which starts and finishes in Dingle, will make your jaw drop! With its twists and turns it shows some of the most spectacular spots along the Kerry Coastline like Coumenoole Beach, Dun Chaoin Pier, The Dunmore Head Viewpoint and Clogher Head. Conor Pass is another stop that can’t be missed. Epic!
Last but not least, another amazing place to elope is Howth! If you don’t want to go as far as the Cliffs oh Moher but would like to have a similar location Howth is a great option! It’s very close to Dublin and it offers the most beautiful backdrop for your photos and films. You can see more in this gorgeous Vow Renewal we photographed and filmed in Howth, featuring the Cliffs and the hidden beach:
If you’re looking for a photographer for your elopement wedding, please get in touch. We only take a very limited number of bookings every year!
– Our calendar 2023 is filling up fast and our 2024 calendar is also open! –
Contact us for more information on availability and pricing. We can’t wait to hear more about your plans!